Despite a 52-26 loss to SEC opponent Auburn, the Arkansas State Red Wolves showed promise as new offensive coordinator Hugh Freeze's game plan delivered 84 plays and 366 yards during its first outing.
Quarterback Ryan Aplin completed 28-of-42 passes for 278 yards and a touchdown, while wide receiver Dwayne Frampton caught eight passes for 74 yards and one touchdown to lead the Red Wolves.
The Red Wolves first score came at the 5:33 mark in the first quarter when Aplin hit Frampton from 10 yards out. Brian Davis' PAT was blocked to give the Red Wolves an early 6-0 lead.
Auburn would answer very quickly with two quick scores, the first at the 3:33 mark in the first quarter when Kodi Burns scored from three yard out, then again with 1:06 mark when Cameron Newton passed to Mario Fannin for a 36 yard touchdown pass.
Both teams would score multiple times in the second quarter, with the Tigers striking three times, while the Red Wolves would strike twice.
Newton would have two rushing touchdowns for the Tigers, as well as a 48 yard pass to Quindarius Carr, while Jermaine Robertson would score from 13 yards out for the Red Wolves. ASU kicker Brian Davis would hit the first of two field goals from 26 yards out.
The Tigers led 35-16 at the break, but ASU would capitalize on several turnovers early in the third quarter to get within 12 points of the Tigers, before Gus Malzahn's offense would open it up on a tired Red Wolves defense.
Auburn true freshman running back Michael Dyer had a nice debut, running the ball 14 times for 95 yards and a touchdown, while Quindarius Carr caught two passes for 87 yards and a touchdown for the Tigers. Newton ran for 171 yards and two touchdowns and passed for 186 yards and three more scores for the Tigers as well.
Phillip Butterfield would see action for the Red Wolves as well, going 5 for 7 passing with 45 yards. Allen Muse would catch four passes for 80 yards, while Taylor Stockemer caught six passes for 58 yards.
Arkansas State travels to face Louisiana-Lafayette September 11, 2010. Kickoff is slated for 3:30PM
**The Following Is Courtesy Arkansas State SID Department**
ARKANSAS STATE POSTGAME NOTES
ASU at Auburn
September 4, 2010 - Jordan Hare Stadium
* ASU's Team Captains for game 1 were senior's Sifa Etu, Anthony Robinson, Adam Gaston and Bryan Hall.
* WR Dwayne Frampton recorded his first career touchdown reception at ASU, a 10-yard catch to give A-State a 6-0 lead in the first quarter. Frampton finished the first quarter alone with three receptions for 29 yards, and the game with eight receptions for 74 yards.
* Frampton's eight receptions tied the most by any ASU player for all of last season.
* Jermaine Robertson recorded a 13-yard touchdown run on his first carry, giving him two rushing TD's for his career. His other TD came against Mississippi Valley State in the 2009 season opener.
* Derek Lawson recorded his seventh career rushing touchdown.
* Dorvus Woods and Chaz Scales both finished the game with one tackle for loss. For Woods, he now has 10.5 TFL for his career and it was the first tackle behind the line of scrimmage for Scales.
* M.D. Jennings posted double-figure tackles (11) in a game for the fourth time of his career. He also recorded his second career forced fumble, fourth fumble recovery of his career and his third career sack.
* ASU had at least one player attempt his first career punt (Neely Sullivent and Dean Gericke), first career kickoff (Bobby Zalud) and first career extra point and field goal (Brian Davis). Tausean Holmes, Roderick Hall and Dwayne Frampton all returned their first career kicks and/or punts as well.
* Roderick Hall's first career kickoff return went for 40 yards, the longest of the game by an ASU player.
Arkansas St. (0-1)
Arkansas St.: Dwayne Frampton 10 yd pass from Ryan Aplin (blocked XP)
Auburn: Kodi Burns 3 yd run (Wes Byrum kick)
Auburn: Mario Fannin 36 yd pass from Cameron Newton (Wes Byrum kick)
Auburn: Cameron Newton 2 yd run (Wes Byrum kick)
Arkansas St.: Jermaine Robertson 13 yd run (Brian Davis kick)
Auburn: Quindarius Carr 48 yd pass from Cameron Newton (Wes Byrum kick)
Arkansas St.: Brian Davis 26 yd FG
Auburn: Cameron Newton 71 yd run (Wes Byrum kick)
Arkansas St.: Derek Lawson 8 yd run (Brian Davis kick)
Auburn: Mario Fannin 38 yd pass from Cameron Newton (Wes Byrum kick)